In a thrilling week in the SLFA that saw three fixtures go ahead with an average of over five goals a game, #MatchweekSeven in the SLFA was a spectacle. Here is the #MatchweekSeven review.

There was a change at the top of the table this week, as Kidlington’s 2-2 draw with Rushall Olympic earned them an all-important point that saw them climb to the top of the table ahead of Sutton Coldfield Town. Swindon Supermarine did Kidlington a favour and in turn got their first win of the season by beating Sutton Coldfield 2-4 away from home. Yate Town also picked up their first win of the season after a convincing 7-0 victory against Frome.

With six teams in action during #MatchweekSeven and a number of students putting in brilliant performances, #TeamOfTheWeek was tough to crack this week. Well done to all students nominated and selected by their coaches and also congratulations to Ali Albouti of Yate Town, who’s brilliant performance including four goals earned him the title of ‘Player of the Week’.

With 17 goals across just three games, the highlights show for #MatchweekSeven will not disappoint. Catch all of this week’s goal action and match highlights below.

This week’s Game Review of the Week comes from a somewhat of an upset at Sutton Coldfield Town. Heading into the game, the home side sat at the top of the table with nine points and a perfect record, winning three game out of three. Swindon Supermarine were the visitors and still hadn’t won a game yet.


With Swindon Supermarine yet to put a tally in the win column and Sutton Coldfield sitting pretty at the top of the table with three wins in three games, both teams were keen to put a good team performance together.

Swindon got off to a dream start and found themselves in front after 8 minutes. The goal was made by Kieran Curtis, who brought the ball down on his chest, flicked the ball over a Sutton player and went past another before clipping a wonderful ball in behind the Sutton defence. The pass was inch perfect for Andy Smith to run on to who hit the bouncing ball first time with his left foot and slotted the ball home. Sutton Coldfield Town 0-1 Swindon Supermarine.

The visitors nearly had a second goal just 4 minutes later after some high pressing from Swindon forced the Sutton defence into giving the ball away on the edge of their own box. The ball fell to Smith again who seemed to rush his effort and dragged his shot wide.

Swindon did however double their lead after 16 minutes and were taking the fight to Sutton Coldfield. A well worked counter attack saw Sam Saunders-Hackett pick up the ball in the centre circle and play a beautiful through ball towards Bonsa Teshome on the left wing. His first touch brought the ball inside and before being closed down by the keeper and recovering defenders he managed to poke the ball towards goal and score Swindons second of the game. Sutton Coldfield Town 0-2 Swindon Supermarine.

Determined to get back into game, Sutton Coldfield regrouped and got a foot on the ball, dictating play. They had a chance to get back into the game near the 30-minute mark after a wonderful cross from the left hand side towards the back post caused problems for Swindon. Juvani Mupene nearly pounced on the loose ball but the Swindon defence managed to clear their lines.

HALF TIME: Sutton Coldfield Town 0-2 Swindon Supermarine

Sutton had the first chance of the second half after a free kick was whipped in to the Swindon box rom the right wing. Enes Muca was able to make some space for himself and swing a boot at the incoming cross but his effort went over the bar.

Despite conceding two early goals, Sutton seemed to be on top for the majority of the game so far, seeing more of the ball but not really creating anything substantial. However, after 65 minutes they finally had a breakthrough, thanks to Juvani Mupene. A low, driving cross from the right hand side forced a dive out of the keeper who parried the ball away from goal. Mupene was first to react and was on hand to tap the ball in. Sutton Coldfield Town 1-2 Swindon Supermarine.

With time winding down, Sutton Coldfield were pressing for an equaliser but it didn’t appear to be their day. From a counter attack, Swindon looked to punish the home side and that’s exactly what they did on the 80-minute mark. Andy Smith dribbled the ball towards the Sutton penalty area and had options left and right of him. With the home sides defence backing off, Smith let off a curling shot that nestled in the bottom right hand corner. Sutton Coldfield Town 1-3 Swindon Supermarine.

Swindon managed to put the game to bed in the 87th minute and claim their first win of the season after a brilliant free kick from Sam Saunders-Hackett. After a foul was committed on the edge of the Sutton box, about 20 yards out, Saunders-Hackett was able to wrap his left foot around a free kick and bend it in to the bottom corner. Coldfield Town 1-4 Swindon Supermarine.

Sutton Coldfield Town did pick up a late consolation goal through Juvani Mupene who scored his second of the game in the last minute of regulation time. A cross from the left wing picked out Mupene in the middle who brought the ball under control with a nice touch and simply passed the ball into the back of the net. FULL TIME: Coldfield Town 2-4 Swindon Supermarine



The Southern League Football Academy in conjunction with the Southern League. We are the second (after the NPL Football Academy) in English football to launch a youth league and academy combining football with further education.

  • Instagram - White Circle
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle